Ask Rusty – Retired Federal Employee Has Small Social Security Benefit

(Letter to the Editor)

Dear Rusty: When I started getting Social Security at 62, I was told by the SS office I would get a smaller monthly amount because I worked for the Federal Government and received a Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS) pension. I paid into Social Security for about 20 years working outside the government, and I now receive only about $280 a month in Social Security. It just seems like I should be getting more. How can I look into this matter that Social Security calls a “windfall?” Signed: Federal Retiree

See more in this weeks Boone County Journal